Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Thin Skin Against the Void



I've begun a new 15mm sci-fi project. Skirmish being my first love, I wanted to utilize the benifits of 15mm's small size. I designed these paper ssci-fi corridors and textured them with free sample textures that I got from Marlin Studios.

Some of you may remember my ship sections built around junction boxes. I really like the results I got from this method, but it was too expensive and slow. I designed the paper corridors in order to cover a 4'x4' table quickly and cheaply. The complex above cost me £6 and took me the better part of an afternoon to cut and assemble. Its not quite finished. I need to make more door clips and lots of stuff needs to be black lined. But it is playable as is.

I also made some adverts and signage for the corridors. I wanted this terrain to have blade runner/star wars feel. I imagine that residents in the had city would be constantly bombarded with advertising and holographic images. Right now, I only have signs printed on paper. Once I figure out to print hem onto acetate, I will hae a whole bunch of holo screens and signs.

I have three sizes of section so far. a 4"x4", a 6"x4" and a 2"x7". I plan on making other sizes. The system works by butting these whole sections against one another and connecting them with door clips. The door clips are made out of styrene with a paper texture pasted to them. I'm really pleased with the system.

7 comments:

  1. Yo Holmes! Its Steve, Im commenting from work. Skype me when you have a chance, I have wargames rules to write! Specifically I want to partially adapt our old Battle of Metaurus rules and I was hoping you remembered some of the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. Well done! I can just imagine Rebels and Imperials or the crew of the Serenity vs. Alliance/Reavers fighting in that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, work, Joe! Can't wait to have a game or two in those corridors!

    How the hell are you going to get them state-side in one piece?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats the beauty of paper my friend. They'll count as media mail. and the whole complex is under a kilo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look superb, would be perfect for a sci-fi gunnrun

    ReplyDelete
  6. yi! look also the base complex "STARBASE" "ABANDONED" and the MEDICAL BAY... very impressive!
    here: http://translate.google.it/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=it&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpworkwargame.blogspot.com%2F

    ReplyDelete
  7. is very fond of this article because it gives a lot of inspiration thanks
    ឡែត Online

    ReplyDelete