Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cardiff Steamer



coming out from the other side of the application season, I finally got some serious painting. I succumbed to the new hotness at the local store here in Cardiff and bought a fleet for Dystopian Wars. Being the token Yank at the store I had to go for the FSA. It was convenient that they were my favourite models of the whole range. The figures are a joy to paint. I really can't compliment them enough. Spartan is really showing us the future of miniature making. I think the process of designing figures on CAD and having them 3D printed had finally matured where it can create models that are superior to more old fashion methods.

I'm really pleased with how these turned out, with the devlin mud adding a grungy feel. I went the extra mile and added a mast and some rigging. I think it adds a certain je ne sais quoi to the models. I have two battleships and some aircraft left to paint and then I'll be ready to enforce the Monroe doctrine at the barrel of a gun!

6 comments:

  1. Nicely painted!

    Would you mind sharing how you painted the FSA battleship?

    I bought all four starter fleets :)

    Happy Gaming,

    Allan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Allan. I'll get some pictures up as soon as I get them painted. I may even try and do a tutorial.

    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is amazing!!!

    May I ask... I saw your 40K Orcs in another posting...

    I'd like to cobble together one Orc battle wagon and a truck from toys... to keep them reasonabally playable can you tell me about their basic dimentions (IE table footprint)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!

    I figure with an Ork vehicle you should keep it under 6" per side to keep them playable. I used a land raider kit for mine.

    Hope that helps.

    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second the call for a tutorial, or at least the colors you used and some more angles of the rigging. They look great, and I'd love to know your palette.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sweet colour scheme and thanks for sharing the actual colours used. Nice to see a traditional style in keeping with the period.

    ReplyDelete